Monday, December 10, 2007

death, oranges, insomnia and the carpenters

What a day! First of all, it's December 11th - which means it's my grandmother's death anniversary. She died last year while I was in Seoul, and it's been quite a tough row to hoe.

I know it's a fact that she's not "here" anymore, but her memory remains and sometimes I want to share a funny thought with her, or just listen to her never-ending stories but... I can't. And it sucks.

There’s also this tremendous amount of guilt… you know, the “I should have…” and “I could have…”. Especially as a kid, I was so greedy and selfish, and she was all about loving and giving. She used to say she loves me as much as the universe. So did I. And let's face it, she was really funny! I miss her really badly.


Thanks to my upstairs neighbors, I am even more emotional today. Indeed, they walked in in high heels at 2am and of course that woke me up. As if this wasn’t enough, I heard them walking heavy at 4am (banging their heels as they were strolling across the room), opening and closing closets.

It lasted for almost an hour when I finally decided to go upstairs and knock on their door. No answer. I knocked louder. Nothing. I rang the doorbell. Still no one. I was so pissed by then, I just gave the door a big slap and went back to my room. It was silent for a second, and it started again.

Around 6:30am it finally stopped and I was able to get half an hour sleep before getting ready for work and hopping on the bus. I was fulminating!

As I got to school, grumpy as hell, I remembered that my ajumma class (adult women) wanted to do the Carpenters’ song “Top of the world”. Thank God that was funny cauz the music video is soooooo old and cheesy, and the women were all trying to sing along with their Korean accent!

As they were leaving, one of them gave me this huuuuge bag of gimchi and a big basket filled with oranges. The gimchi is a year-old, which means it’s simply delicious and I’m incredibly excited about it! As for the oranges, it’s the peak season now on the island so they are cheap and they are everywhere! You can get 10kg for 5 bucks!!



Oh and yesterday I sent a massive box full of Christmas gifts back home, and a small one to France, for only 40$… not even surface mail; express! Oh sweet Korea! Did I mention I froze my ass for 2 hours in a Korean cemetery last Saturday for a Kim Oksun photo shooting? The photographer is Korean and she takes pictures of foreigners in Korean settings. Her exhibit will be in Seoul this coming June. She's quite talented.

Gota go, lunch time! Yet another day on earth, hoping grandma’s in a better place indeed. Did you know that Koreans bury the dead and then add some lump of earth on top of it? If you look closely, it has some sort of human shape…

Top100 Bloggers - Top Blog Directory - Blog Top list