Sunday, December 9, 2007

3 months already

I woke up today wondering "what’s the point of life"? Every day I get up, ride the bus for an hour, work, take the bus for another hour and finally get home around 8pm.

Then I have the choice: gym, dinner with friends or spending some time alone. I do prefer the last option since I must go to bed early in order to get up at 7am the next day. Or I go for a quick meal like delicious "modem gimbap" (vegetables, rice, beef, tuna and cheese rolled in seaweed) - which Kyle, Alicia's boyfriend, introduced me to.


But in the end, what’s the point?!
Well, hopefully my teaching English will reach some of my 60 students. Hopefully they’ll remember a few things. Hopefully they’ll speak English and be able to communicate with other human beings. That’s the beauty of such a universal language – no matter where you go, almost everyone knows a little bit of English.


But is this really the whole purpose of life? Me, teaching English? I do enjoy my week-ends – when I usually have dinner with friends on Friday nights, coupled with beers, chatting and playing pool (usually lasts until the next morning ;)
Then Saturdays I nurse my hangover, play tennis with Doug, Woody, Laurie, Amanda and cie, and teach. Sundays I generally clean my place and explore a new part of the island. Hiking is often involved - although last week-end I went Christmas shopping!


And then Monday comes again.

Maybe I’m not skilled at entertaining myself. But that’s not the point; I’m never bored! I am happy with my guitar (although I’d like to find a piano), my movies, my books and mother nature. I’ve traveled quite a bit, and I’m looking forward to going to Indonesia in February. But again, is that all there is? Maybe I’m expecting too much. Maybe I’m expecting the wrong thing.

Maybe I’m not learning when I should. Of course there are many things I should read about and become skilled at.

Don’t get me wrong; I’m super thankful I’m not a factory worker in China, but… the more we can get, the more our expectations grow, right?
I’ve been back in Korea for 3 months now and everything’s just fine. I miss home. But when I’m home I miss the world. And when I’m somewhere around the world I miss other parts of this world. We’re all eternally unsatisfied to some extend I guess.

It's all fun, but I just feel useless. And pointless.

Today the sky is gray and it’s raining a little. I wish I were outside because it smells so good. I wish I were hiking. Instead I’m trapped in this office. At least i've got a cute wooden artifact from my parents and that necklace my sister sent me from Quebec...


Top100 Bloggers - Top Blog Directory - Blog Top list