Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Chilling, indeed!

The last month has been quite exciting – holidays, beaching (Gwakji!), teaching, festival and just hanging out. I tell ya, Jeju Island is much better to live in than Seoul! Seoul is fun because there are so many things to do and see, but it’s also a very polluted city where the sky, the moon, the stars and the sun are overshadowed by countless gigantic skyscrapers. In Seoul, life is hectic; everywhere it’s “bali bali!”, “hurry hurry!”

While Jeju is rather overpopulated for an island, I have managed to get some “me” time at the beach. I also bought a scooter, so I can get away whenever I feel like it. It reminds me of good times back in France, when I would drive through winding roads every morning. Oh the view! Oh the feeling! Oh… the helmet…



Of course it’s a little different here in Korea; people cut you off, motorcycles ride on sidewalks, cars park on sidewalks, and pedestrians cross the street whenever/wherever they feel like it. But, believe it or not, it’s better than back on the mainland. Except maybe that men are passing out on the street here too....



So Chuseok was fantastic; we celebrated by going out and hanging at the beach. Chuseok is like Korea’s Thanksgiving Day – families get together for a big meal, they’re thankful for the year’s harvest, and go to their ancestors’ grave to bow and it clean up. People wear the "hanbok" (Korean traditional costume)... even at the beach!



Last week was quite busy – we had to attend (by this I mean: sit for 8 hours) a teachers’ workshop on Thursday. As for Friday and Saturday, it was the “First Jeju Foreign Laguage Festival”; a really cool event where EPIK teachers entertained the kids in English about stuff we do in our part of the world ;) This included cultural booths, plays, music, face painting, games and so on.


At some point it totally seemed like were movie stars or something… there were hords of students asking to get our signature. I guess it was a school homework, but it felt funny. There were so many kids, it was hectic! Some of them were wearing their school uniform... so cute!

One of my duties during the festival was to judge plays! It was simply adorable... from Sherlock Holmes, to Farm animals, the kids had worked really hard!

My apartment is alright and I’ll post pics soon. A staff member came over to check the mold and she said she’ll discuss it sometimes this week.
Meanwhile, everything’s great but I do miss home. My week vacation is not until February (!!), and between October and then, the only holidays we get are Christmas day, New Year’s day and… that’s it! Of course, students get a loooong winter break, but some of them will come to the center so we have to work. Oh well. I’ll have Bali in mind and it should keep me motivated!

Here are random pics of stuff from last month:
http://www.bubbleshare.com/album/244563/overview

Top100 Bloggers - Top Blog Directory - Blog Top list